Friday, March 16, 2012

March 16, 2012

A beautiful day is dawning in the Ozarks! It is 62 degrees and the birds are having lively conversations in the dark. Following this time of devotional reading and prayer I will begin my day at the Council of Churches office in a meeting with the Easter Sunrise committee. I will then work in my office on the weekend service, including the bulletin and message. Yesterday was packed with meetings from 7:30 am through 8:00 pm. Through the noon hour I participated in an online preaching seminar hosted by a new coaching group called “Preaching Rocket”. It contained good content from Andy Stanley, Jeff Foxworthy and others. Last night I consulted with the leaders of a church in Joplin concerning their need for visioning and long range planning.

Acts 28

This last chapter of the book of Acts chronicles Paul’s travels under arrest from Jerusalem to Rome, and ends abruptly after his two years of house arrest in Rome. This journey includes details of the sailing ships employed by the Romans, the decisions about weather, the shipwreck on Malta, and the message Paul preached to the Jewish leaders at Rome. Among the last verses of this historical book are Paul’s quoting of Isaiah 6:9-10 “Go to this people and say, You will keep on hearing, but will not understand… for the heart of the people has become dull…lest they should see with their eyes …and understand with their heart and return, and I should heal them.” (Acts 28:26-27) This prophecy is also true about people in every generation, including this present age.

The last paragraph of Acts: “And he stayed 2 full years in his own rented quarters, and was welcoming all who came to him, preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with all openness, unhindered.” Paul pursued the purpose God had given him, and this closing statement reveals that he accomplished his mission. Paul was a faithful servant of Christ, and inspires me to fully pursue God’s purposes in my life, right up to the end. Paul did not retire. Paul did not save up. Paul’s reward is eternal, his life was well lived.

Most holy living God, today in the Ozarks of Missouri I will live a faithful, purposeful life as a pastor and servant leader. Guide my steps, my actions, my thoughts and words as I live for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment