Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27, 2012

Yesterday was a good day off / Sabbath. I rode the Concours to Buesik State Forest and hiked around for an hour or so. I made or took 4 church related phone calls as I hiked, clarifying that Bob Farr and Steve Cox are coming today, Tuesday, and not Monday as I had thought. Audrey and I will take them to dinner afterward. Audrey and I went to lunch together at Wendy’s, each having a fish sandwich. Then on the spur of the moment we went to Lowes, buying mulch and a medicine cabinet for my office. I went then to the house of a generous friend and avid motorcyclist, and for 90 minutes picked his brain about motorcycles, touring, and especially my Concours. He put it up on his lift, and solved my leaking fuel problem – it was not a carburetor issue as I had thought, but simply a leaking fuel line at the valve cock. He observed that I need new tires and offered to mount them if I brought them by, and we talked about lighting, electrical, top box, emergency tire repair, rain gear, jumper cables, fuses, first aid kit, and riding pants. Upon coming home I set about working on the yard, and planting tomato seeds in the basement.

Romans 8

“There is therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death. (Verses 1-2) In 1979 I memorized this chapter which has benefitted me for 33 years. The freedom I have experienced in Christ is more significant that I can describe. I need to regularly reflect on this. Bruce Baxter is not condemned because of sin, but the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free!!!

“For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did; sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh…” (Verse 3) This is the Easter message - the resurrection changes the world from being under the law, condemned by sin, to being free and a new creation! Old things have passed away, all things have become new! Because I am free, I can freely give my life for others.

Guide me today, most holy, righteous, omnipotent Lord as I labor in the servant leadership of your great church called Wesley UMC here in Springfield. Guide my thoughts, actions, meetings, phone calls, writings and plans, that in everything You might be glorified and Your purposes accomplished. So be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment