Friday, March 30, 2012

March 30, 2012

Romans 11

This chapter describes the rejection of God’s grace by Israel, which has opened the door to salvation for the gentiles. The writer also anticipates that the branches which have been cut off could be grafted back in (if they do not continue in their unbelief.) The closing verses of this chapter are powerful:

“Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became his counselor? … For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever, Amen.” (Verses 33-36) These verses remind me of some of the awe inspiring attributes of God, and that I must continually keep the perspective of a created one, and that I am not the center of the universe, and that God invites me into a relationship with him through faith. Presumption is always a problem for people who experience aspects of God’s grace. May I never presume the depth and the riches of the knowledge of God!

Today I will continue to prepare for Easter weekend and the Sundays beyond, as I am not preaching this weekend. At two services the Easter Musical will be the content, and in the other two Richard Fine will bring the message as he prepares to launch a new church in the area. Last night I had a great conversation with Mark Roach of Morning Star Church regarding a video they used on Labor Day weekend when I was visiting their church with David and Danelle. In the office I will handle correspondence and work on my March 31 goals of my missional job description. In the late afternoon I will mow our yard, work in the garden and around the garage and basement. Tomorrow I have three different meetings with couples about marriage and baptisms.

Guide me today, most holy, mysterious unfathomable Lord. I am open to insights into your riches and glory, and to your will for me as pastor of Wesley, and for the people who belong to Wesley and those around us who are spiritually asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment