Friday, March 9, 2012

March 9, 2012

Time change this weekend! At 5:46 am the sky is starting to lighten in the east with its pre-dawn indicators. The birds are starting to sing. On Sunday morning, this will be 6:46, and the sun will not have cleared the horizon before I will be on the way to church. Today I will be at the office early and working on the message for this weekend. I will be on the Concours.

Yesterday morning I shared the grief of a wife as she said goodbye to her husband. They had been together since the fourth grade. He was diagnosed one year ago with a brain tumor, and had struggled with it valiantly. He died at 7:30, and the mortician came for his body at the nursing home around 10. In the evening I visited the home of a couple whose baby will be baptized on Sunday, with the joy and hope of a young life unfolding.

Acts 22

Paul in Jerusalem addresses the mob. He tells his story, of being brought up in the Jewish faith, studying under Gamaliel, and persecuting people of “The Way”. He recounted his conversion on the road to Damascus, and his calling to take the good news to the Gentiles. The crowd reacted violently to this statement, and the Roman soldiers took him away. They were preparing to scourge him when he stated he was a Roman citizen which gave him certain rights. The next day he was brought down before the chief priests and all the Council.

Down through history clarion voices have spoken bravely and have been met with violence. The apostle Paul is perhaps the best example of faithful witness and courageous messenger. As I read this chapter this morning I am remembering various people,through the years, who have encountered entrenched systems intolerant of a new Way. I live in an era and in a country where there is much tolerance. There is such abundance of basic needs that there is malaise and indifference, with obesity and boredom two of the major problems of the day. In my mid fifties, with 30 years of pastoral experience, I desire to daily seek God’s face, observe what He is doing in the world, and spend my energy advancing His Kingdom.

Yesterday I viewed a You Tube video that has had 36 million viewers in 3 days. It is called Kony 2012, and is a 29 minute film by Invisible Children designed to bring to public attention the horrors inflicted by Joseph Kony over the last 20 years in the Sudan and neighboring African countries. He forces children to murder their parents, and then takes the boys into his army and makes the girls sex slaves. These are the invisible children that are the subject of this film. The producer’s goal is to call upon the world to capture Joseph Kony and bring him to justice. It has “gone viral” so quickly with such magnitude. President Obama has complemented the effort. Next week I preach on the topic of rescue and I will refer to this issue.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I serve you with joy and in the power of the Holy Spirit. Use my energy, gifts, vision, experience and setting to further your Kingdom in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment