Thursday, March 22, 2012

March 22, 2012

A pair of robins is quickly building a nest on the railing of our deck. This is not the best place for a nest, but it is very visible and interesting to watch. I will leave it alone and see what happens. Later this summer I will power wash and reseal the deck. Audrey brought home a beautiful humming bird feeder and I will fill it with sugar water today. Each year I have fed the humming birds above the deck, but never this early.

Yesterday I meditated on one of the 15 characteristics named by Mannoia and Walkemeyer of effective pastors – love for God. The author asks himself “was my passion focused first and foremost on the person of God, personal intimacy with my King and the privilege of revealing His beauty to the broken world around me?” This is a great question for every pastor, me included, to ponder. Cultivating this love, keeping it fresh, not “losing the first love” is critical to being an effective shepherd of the sheep. This early morning time of reflection, reading the Bible, and prayer is part of my nurturing the love for God which I began to experience in 1974, and which has been the center of my life ever since.

Psalm 27
“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?” (Verse 1) “One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to meditate in His temple.” (Verse 4) These two verses remind me of David’s love for God, his trust in Him, and his delight in the One who saved him.

Today I will co-lead the memorial service for Charlie Hoag, a faithful servant of Christ. We will celebrate the resurrection. His family and friends will gather to grieve his passing, to worship God, and to remember his life.

Lord I love You with all my heart. My life is in your hands. May this day be well invested in serving You and leading others to follow You all the days of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment