Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 13, 2012

Yesterday I rode the Concours to Cassville, caught 3 trout in Roaring River State Park, and returned home by curvy back roads. I cooked the fish for dinner and then Audrey and I attended the concert by the Kickapoo vocal music department. I am rested and ready for this week of work. The high today will be near 80 during this unusually warm middle week of March.

I am reading 15 Characteristics of Effective Pastors by Mannoia and Walkemeyer. Yesterday I started the section on spiritual formation and appreciated their metaphor of digging ditches. The authors propose that pursuing spiritual disciplines is similar to digging ditches, and it is God that provides the water, as He did in II Kings chapter 3. For me, this early morning time of writing, reflecting, reading scripture, praying is one of the ditches through which God’s refreshment flows.

Acts 25

The continuing saga of Paul’s legal entanglement as Festus takes over for Felix, and desires to do the Jews a favor. When no legitimate charges can be proven, Festus offers Paul the opportunity to be tried in Jerusalem, and he appeals to Caesar, which is his right as a Roman citizen. King Agrippa also gets involved with Festus, and desires to hear Paul, which will be described in the next chapter.

This chapter of Holy Scriptures reminds me that life is complicated, and the winds of political favor and civic processes meander hither and yon. As the details of Paul’s involvement are important, so the details of each one of our lives are important and significant. It is important to note how Paul was clear about his decision to appeal to Caesar, which resulted in his being taken to Rome (where he was able to speak and teach about Christ).

Guide me in the details of this life you have called me to live in Springfield Missouri. May my every thought, action, problem, solution, and every encounter with another soul be to your glory and honor, most precious Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment