Thursday, March 29, 2012

March 29, 2012

Romans 10

Reading Martin Luther’s commentary, I learn that in verse 6 Paul is quoting Moses when he says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down)… turning to Deuteronomy chapter 30, I read verses 11-20. In addition to verse 12 thus quoted, and applied to Christ by Paul, I am struck by verses 16-20, and picture how these words apply to our confirmation class.

Deuteronomy 30:16-20
“I command you today to love the Lord your God, and to walk in His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that you may live and multiply, and that the Lord your God may bless you in the land where you are entering to possess it. But if your heart turns away and you will not obey, but are drawn away and worship other gods and serve them, I declare to you today that you shall surely perish.” (16-18a) This is a powerful command from Moses, and its import is as fresh today as it was in the wilderness 3,000 years ago.

Romans 10:9-11
“[I]f you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, ‘Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.” (Isaiah 28:16)

During the next three weeks we have the final approach to our 17 confirmation students. I will be praying for them and preparing for their membership Sunday and the message I preach on April 15.

Guide my steps Lord as I love You and walk in Your ways, and keep Your commandments. I desire to live and multiply and receive Your blessing in the land (the Ozarks) where I live. Us my pastoral office to lead many to personal faith in You, salvation from eternal damnation. I am yours, Holy God.

Yesterday I started with a hospital call, led our executive staff meeting, lunch with one of our pastors, met with one of our directors, renewed the Taurus license for 2 years, ran 3 miles pushing 5 hills, made a pastoral phone call, had a pastoral conversation with a neighbor about her family situation, and attended the Green Room ministry downtown, visiting with the students, and getting a temporary tattoo on my neck. Having started at 7:50 am I returned home at 9:50 pm. Audrey and I then had our standing Wednesday “Survivor” date, watching the current episode in which Tony got voted out. All in all, a very fruitful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment