Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 17, 2010

4-17-10 Saturday, 6:19 am Grayrock, Springfield, 52 degrees, partly cloudy.

It is so good to be home. Audrey and I arrived home last night at 7:30 from San Antonio. The Large Church Initiative was a very helpful conference, and worth the 5 days invested. The main topic was “Making Decisions that Make Disciples”, and the University UMC in San Antonio, a 5600 member congregation was a great host, providing solid examples of ministry. Today I plan to write a summary of my learnings, and a list of steps to follow up. I have been out of the routine of posting my journal daily to my blog, and am glad to be back in familiar surroundings and with a routine that allows daily postings.

Today is the beginning of our Mission Blitz. We have been planning this for 9 months. Tomorrow we step outside of the box and postpone worship until 5:00 pm, in order to connect with the community. This is quiet an adventure, and I appreciate the work of so many who are leading and coordinating this effort. My faith in the power and presence of God grows with each event such as this. I will start at the church, supporting the “mission central” coordination group, and then proceed to visit several sites. I will work on my sermon for several hours today, exercise, and prepare for tomorrow. Guide my steps Holy Lord as I walk into this day. Feed my soul as I turn to your word this morning.

Joshua 3-4 (I have fallen a little behind “The One Year Bible” reading schedule. I will read through Joshua and catch up the 10 chapters this weekend.)

God does a “new thing” through Joshua, confirming his leadership and stopping the flow of the Jordan river. Twelve stones are extracted from the middle of the river to remind future generations of this work of God. I must constantly be open to the new things God is doing in this generation, and be “strong and courageous” to lead with faith and hope. “Brian McLaren’s new book A New Kind of Christianity: Ten Questions that are Transforming the Faith suggests that the old institution of the church may be preparing to give birth to a new sense of what it means to follow Christ” (UM Reporter, 4-16-10). I have had this sense for some time, cannot yet picture what it might involve, and I am willing to be used however God may choose in this birth process.

No comments:

Post a Comment