Saturday, April 24, 2010

April 24, 2010

4-24-10 Saturday, 5:39 am Grayrock, 61 degrees, cloudy.

My lunch yesterday in Kansas City with a widely published pastor was an enriching experience. We discussed preaching, writing, leadership, advertising and staffing. I am refreshed and refocused as a result. I have awakened early and will write on my sermon until it is time to leave for UMM. The rest of this day I have available for preparation, pastoral care, exercise and probably lawn mowing, if the ground dries up.

I just caught a little of Baxter Black, a cowboy poet who was on the Farm Report just now on NBC. Nashville did not want his songs, so he turned his verse into poetry, and is now a humorist. Last night I started reading Thoreau’s Walden, given to me by Audrey as a birthday present this week, and the introduction is fascinating. The biographical notes set the context of his work, and describe the reception he had in his lifetime, compared to the acclaim his works have developed over time.

Judges 2:10 – 3:31
Israel has the tendency to decline, experience defeat, be sent a deliverer, and return to God’s way. This pattern is also prevalent in the church. Wesley commented on this passage and referred to backsliding. This might be a good topic for a stand-alone sermon this spring. The notes in the Wesley study Bible are informative on this topic.

The problem of the Israelites involved the surrounding nations who worshipped Baal and did not follow Yahweh. What are the gods worshipped by the “nations” of today? I think it involves things that appeal to us – houses, cars, motorcycles, and ultimately the love of money as a source of security, hope and future in place of the love of God. Guide me Lord as I live into and through this understanding. I certainly must address this topic regularly in my preaching(once a year?).

No comments:

Post a Comment