Friday, April 9, 2010

April 9, 2010

4-9-10 Friday, 5:38 am Grayrock, 36 degrees, light frost, clear with quarter moon.

Having planted flowers on Monday, Audrey and I are very conscious of the weather. We covered our plants last night because of the frost warning, and this morning the frost has settled in. The birds around here start singing around 4:45 now – do they arise earlier as the sunrise creeps earlier every day?

Deut 33 – Moses blesses the people of Israel before his death

Tribe by tribe he blesses them, communicating God’s love and mercy. (The tribe of Simeon is missing for some reason). He concludes in verse 29 “Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the Lord, the shield of your help, and the sword of your triumph!” Having shared some time with Dan Sered from Israel, I am more conscious of Israel as a people and God’s shield. Dan’s father served in the Israeli army in all its wars from 1967 on. Dan and I discussed the church as the new Israel, and he does not agree. I must do some more thinking on this.

I am looking forward to reading Joshua. We begin tomorrow with this book. My Wesleyan Bible has a good introduction which I just read, whetting my appetite for this book. Today I have significant time to devote to preparing my sermon for Sunday “3:17 – the numbers of promise”. I will refer to Joshua’s leading the community into the promised land as part of our heritage and our hope.

Last night I read some more background information on Robert Pirsig, author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence and Lila. One note said he wrote his first book over 4 years, mostly between 2 am and 6 am daily before his regular job as a technical writer. I am always interested in the practical routines of writers, how they accomplish their writings. I continue to feel called to write for publication, but with no deadlines I have not established a routine to do so. Guide me Lord as I invest this day in the work of your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment