Thursday, April 22, 2010

April 22, 2010

4-22-10 Thursday, 7:42 am Grayrock, raining.

For 54 years now this date has contained the numbers of my birth. April 22 rings with the familiarity of identity, family, history, and future. This is the first birthday on which I have been married more than half my life to the wonderful Audrey Holmgren Baxter, the second birthday for which the one who bore me is not alive, and the first birthday for which I have a daughter in law (whose text this morning was my first birthday greeting!) I am thankful for my family, my church and my God whom I serve with joy.

Josh 24:1-33
Verse 15c …but as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” Yes, this is my desire and commitment also. Guide me Lord as I guide others and their families to serve you. This might be a great verse and theme to expound on Mother’s day, perhaps combined with the study of Lydia, seller of purple and converted in Philippi. The Wesleyan Study Bible has a box about “free will” connected with this chapter in Joshua, describing the human condition as free to choose whom and what we will serve. Yes Lord! I choose to serve you today, this year, and for the rest of my life on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment