Thursday, April 8, 2010

April 8, 2010

4-8-10 Thursday, 7:49 am Grayrock, sunny, 38 degrees.

It looks like tonight will be the last frost, and we will cover the tender flowers we planted on Monday. I have a slower start this morning, with prayer with two pastors at 9:00. My body is still lethargic, even as my mind begins to anticipate God’s word for today.

Deut 32:28-52

Moses finishes his song in which the warnings of disobedience and God’s judgement is very clear. God commands Moses to go up mount Nebo which rises opposite Jericho. He will get to see the promised land, but not journey there, because of his disobedience at the waters of Meribah, where he and Aaron failed to demonstrate God’s holiness to the people when they demanded water. Lord, Guard me from ever failing to demonstrate your holiness among the people I serve. Guide me as I live a life of holiness unto you, with authenticity and integrity.

“Holiness unto the Lord” is carved in wood above the stage in the Asbury College auditorium, and holiness is a strong emphasis in Wilmore among both the college and the seminary. Holiness is referred to here at the end of Deuteronomy. For religious people, it is all too easy to try to fake holiness, or make it external as did the scribes and Pharisees of Jesus’ day. In this generation those who are “legalistic”, mandating certain external behavior fall into this trap. On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who ignore the call to holy living and whose lives are no different than their neighbors who do not live for God. I desire to live a balanced, transparent life in which the holiness and awe of God is evident as I guard against an external, religious, showy legalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment