Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3, 2010

4-3-10 Saturday, 8:21 am Grayrock, 48 degrees.

Last night we had two great Good Friday services, at 7 and 9. The purpose was to feel the suffering and the darkness of the crucifixion which was accomplished both in the sanctuary and the gym. This morning the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and Easter Saturday is in full bloom. Tonight I have the privilege of baptizing and renewing the vows of 30+ youth. Lord prepare me ….

Luke 10:13-37 (Reading from Greek-English Interlinear version)
Jesus discusses the receptivity of Capernaum, Chorazin and Bethsaida and compares it to Tyre and Sidon. This reminds me of the specifics of place and time, and the variety of responses to God of a given people. My hope is for Springfield, and those influenced by the ministries of Wesley to be fully responsive to God’s grace and mercy.

A religious leader tests Jesus with the question “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus asks him about what the scripture says, and he responds “Love the Lord your God from all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Jesus commends him saying “do this and you will live”. The scholar pushes him further, wanting to justify himself “who is my neighbor?” To this question Jesus tells the parable of the good Samaritan.

Guide me today Lord as I seek to love you from all my heart, with all my soul, strength and mind, and to love those around me as myself, on this day of Easter preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment