Friday, May 14, 2010

May 14, 2010

5-14-10 Friday, 5:38 am Grayrock, 62 degrees raining.

Yesterday I received a phone call at 5:00 pm from a distressed young mother who was being evicted from a friend’s house where she had been staying. I made arrangements for a night’s lodging, and then drove drove her, her fiancĂ©, and their 1 ½ year-old to a hotel within walking distance of the roofing contractor he is scheduled to start working for today. With this rain, that work seems unlikely. This family has been heavily upon my mind through the night, as they seem to have no reserves, no backup, and little hope of a healthy, happy life. Her mother is driving up from Cuba to pick them up today.

The concepts I have been pondering for my book Long View of a Short Life come into sharp focus as I walk for an hour with these folks. I had a sense of God’s presence, and their appreciation. I also wondered how they could have made better decisions, how their parents could have provided more direction, more support. Writing this book is something I must invest in, and it has come back to my consciousness several times this week. I must trust God’s leading in this project and move forward. Last night I finished rereading Zen and Now, Mark Richardson’s reflections on Robert Pirsig’s life and writings. Richardson is a writer for a Toronto paper and his discussion on the process of writing his book was inspiring to me.

John 8:1-20 (reading from Greek-English Interlinear Bible)
A woman caught in adultery is brought to Jesus (where is the man? Was he a friend of the accusers?) and the scribes and Pharisees tested Jesus to see what he would do. He wrote in the dust, and eventually said that the person who was without sin should throw the first stone. They left beginning with the oldest. What was Jesus writing in the dust? When the woman was alone, Jesus dismissed her and told her to go and sin no more. He then proceeded to teach that he is the light of the world, and those who follow him will never walk in darkness, but have the light of life. This is powerful, especially as I consider the plight of the world, with the conflict between light and darkness.

I Sam 15 – 16:23

Saul disobeys God, and Samuel teaches him that obedience is better than sacrifice. God rejects Saul, and sends Samuel to Jessie to anoint one of his sons. David, the youngest is chosen, as God looks on the heart, not on the externals of a person. Guide me Lord as I continue to submit my heart to your will, and lead others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment