Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 26, 2010

5-26-10 Wednesday, 8:15 am Pastor’s Office, Wesley UMC

I arose at 5:00 this morning and upon making coffee I read the daily scriptures from I Sam and John 15. My laptop was here at the office, so rather than reflect and write, I read from Fierce Conversations. This book reminded me of my coaching training as it emphasized four aspects – define reality, encourage learning, overcome obstacles, cultivate relationships. This is good reading as I prepare for the day.

Last evening, after a hospital call I sat on the deck and read Leaving Ruin until the fading light at 8:30 was too dim. This is an interesting fictional account about a pastor in the town of Ruin, Texas. This morning I read an article entitled “Pastor for Life” by Ivan Blake. His thesis is that we need more 40-year pastors which would result in more healthy churches. I agree with his thesis, and I understand the statistics he quotes that include disturbing data about pastors. As I finish my 27th year as a pastor this month, I feel that I am walking in the center of God’s will, and I am looking forward to being a “40-year” pastor!

No comments:

Post a Comment