Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 20, 2010

5-20-10 Thursday, 6:59 am Grayrock, 51 degrees, cloudy

Yesterday was a good, long, hard, fruitful day of pastoral leadership. As I returned home around 9, I sensed the weight and weariness of the day, with gratitude and thankfulness. Leading the funeral for Faye Nipps was a joy, and hearing about her 94 years from her daughter Sharon, her neighbors and friends was uplifting and inspiring. The new member class last night was a time of sharing the vision of Wesley, and commitment to Christ for those who will be joining on Sunday. I had a good visit afterwards with some folks who will be transferring from another denomination.

Today I will be leading the Peer Mentoring group of pastors, and then tonight the church council including the brief charge conference to increase Pastor Mi Hyeon’s salary. We need to report on the finances to the whole church, as we said we would do quarterly. I am not sure why we did not, though I remember there being a good reason for the delay.

I Sam 26-28
David sneaks into Saul’s camp and takes his spear and water bottle. He taunts Abner and Saul from a hill, and asks Saul his motive, demonstrating his own obedience to God and respect for the anointed king. He trusts God for protection, and he flees to the Philistines, thinking that Saul will continue to pursue him as long as he is in Israel. He deceives the Philistine king as he raids and slaughters every person in outlying villages. This is a grim and horrible practice.

David was a man of courage, cunning, and faith. God protected him and led him through this difficult time, and would ultimately set him up as the king of the strong and growing nation of Israel. God would not permit him to build the temple, because he had been a man of bloodshed. Guide me Lord to incorporate the best of David in my leadership, and to recognize and reject the worst of David as I consider my steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment