Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23, 2010 Pentecost Sunday

5-23-10 Pentecost Sunday, 5:39 am Grayrock, 70 warm degrees and clear with an East wind.

Having run at this time yesterday, my body is less complaining, but still not fully cooperating with this early arising. The birds seem happy to be up! I am looking forward to this morning of worship and ministry. There is so much going on, with new members joining, Pentecost, and the weekly celebration of worship and renewal. Guide me holy Lord as I lead today.

Acts 18:24 – 19:10
Paul finds some disciples in Ephesus on this his third missionary journey. They have been taught about Jesus as Messiah by Apollos, but they do not know about the Holy Spirit. Paul baptizes them in the name of Jesus, they speak in tongues and prophesy. This would be an example of what John Wesley taught about the Holy Spirit being a “second work of grace”. This will probably be part of my teaching this morning.

Lord, I thank you for the mystery of your nature and your work among people. Guide me as I seek to teach about your presence as Holy Spirit. Guard me from presumption, guide me in all truth, remove from me any hesitation about proclaiming your message with power and authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment