Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18, 2010

5-18-10 Tuesday, 7:17 am Grayrock, 54 degrees, sunny

My day of Sabbath was effective, as I am leaning into getting back to work. I have a regular week ahead, with a graduation, a funeral, lunch planning session for a new church launch in the Ozarks, and a quarterly church council meeting. Speak to my heart from your word, most holy father.

I Sam 22-23; John 10
David and 400 men elude Saul and his plans to capture and kill David. Saul has 85 priests and their families killed because Ahimelech “consulted God” for David, gave him bread and also Goliath’s sword. Ahimelech assured Saul that he knew of no plot of David’s to kill Saul. After the murder of these priests and their families, David makes good strategic decisions based on his own intuition, and his consulting God about next steps. God leads David through this difficult time of his life, and this is an example to every leader of God’s people to rely upon Him, to act with courage, and to trust Him for the outcome. I am reminded how important it is for a leader to make good decisions, and even when doing so bad things might happen, as in this case to the priest Ahimelech.

Jesus teaches in John 10 about shepherds and hired help. Jesus is the true shepherd, who lays down his life for the sheep. Hired help are more concerned with their wages than with the sheep. Reading this chapter in light of I Sam 22-23, the difference between Saul’s selfishness and David’s obedience is striking. I am also contemplating the different attitude of pastors toward the sheep, especially founding pastors and long-term pastors. Guide me Lord as a faithful shepherd serving under your leadership, guidance, authority and sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment