Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4, 2010

5-4-10 Tuesday, 6:26 am Grayrock, 51 degrees, clear – Another beautiful day ahead.

Yesterday I worked most to the day in the yard and garden. I mowed and trimmed, and hauled dirt and mulch for the yard and the raised bed. I filled in erosion and sowed grass seed. I did not get to the garden, but this evening I hope to get the blackberries in and a trellis built. All in all I am pleased with the flow of yesterday, my body is sore, and my mind is rested.

Judges 19:1- 20:48
These two chapters contain the disturbing account of a Levite, his concubine (secondary wife) hospitality and the tribe of Benjamin. The Wesley Bible notes that this is certainly a low point in the community life of Israel, and it is marked by lack of hospitality, sexual sins, and disregard for women. This crumbling of the covenant community stands as a clear warning to all who read it – be careful to maintain hospitality, pursue sexual purity and honor women.

As mother’s day approaches, I have an opportunity to honor women with my weekend message. I will lift up Lydia, the seller of purple and the baptism of her household. I celebrate the equal status of women and men in our culture, and I am concerned about the violence against women, and the objectifying of women throughout our culture. Guide me Lord as I lead the church and serve you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment