Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 25, 2010

5-25-10 Tuesday, 6:49 am Grayrock, 72 degrees.

My chigger bites on feet and legs remind me of my wonderful walk in the woods at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield on Sunday evening. I walked to the spring house, and to a couple of battlefield areas that I had not previously visited. Since I did not have any bug spray handy, I anticipated that chiggers would find me. This morning as I was waking up I was picturing Native Americans, pioneers, civil war soldiers dealing with chiggers and ticks. I find the woods are a great place to be alone, to pray, and to experience God’s goodness in creation. I need to spend more time in the woods this summer (with plenty of Deep Woods Off!).

I mentioned Tertullian in my sermon as I discussed the Montanists, and I think I want to study more about this early church father.

II Sam 7 – 8:18
David contemplates building a temple for God. Nathan the prophet has a vision in which God tells him He has never desired a temple, and specifically because David is a man of bloodshed, he should not build a temple. David receives this word with gratitude, because it also includes the promise that David’s name will be great, and David’s reign will extend to posterity. This would be accomplished through Jesus. David continues his conquests and the slaughter of his enemies. Each endeavor of David is successful, God’s hand blessing him.

There is much to meditate upon in these scriptures. Does modern Christianity share with David the desire to build glorious places of worship? When and where does God give the green light to go ahead, and when does God say “not now”? How can a person walking with God today experience his hand of blessing as David did? David was “a man after God’s own heart”, and this seems to be the key. Each person today has that same possibility. In my life I have sought and am seeking to please God in everything I do, say, think, and avoid. Guide me today most Holy Lord as I seek to serve you through being a pastor at Wesley UMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment