Friday, June 11, 2010

June 11, 2010

6-11-10 Friday, 7:32 am Grayrock deck, 72 degrees, light rain

I have so much to reflect upon. On Tuesday morning I flew a small plane to Mansfield, Ohio and dropped in our youth choir tour. I caught up with them in Galion at the Saint Theodore House, a Greek Orthodox monastery with three brothers and a catechumen. The monastery was the estate home of the founders of a heavy equipment manufacturer related to Pam Pyeatt. The youth had spent the afternoon cleaning, sorting, remodeling as the monks desire to increase the number of guest rooms. We attended vespers and then were treated to a delicious meal. On Wednesday, the youth led day three of vacation Bible School in the park, as it rained most of the morning. The afternoon was spent at a therapeutic equestrian center in Mansfield. This had been the estate home of wealthy folks in the early 20th century. I learned how to clean a horse stall using a fork, preserving as much of the sawdust as possible. It was really like a large cat box project! In the evening we were served dinner at a Presbyterian church, attended a Bible study by their pastor, and played games with their youth group. I demonstrated my abilities at the pool table.

Yesterday I arose early, and flew to Davies County airport in Washington, Indiana and met my brother John. He showed me around the area, including his trailer, garden, hunting and fishing grounds. He has a delightful arrangement with the owner of a large farm tucked away adjacent to a wildlife area and bordered by the White River. We shared lunch together and lots of stories. It was good to catch up with him. My 3 ½ flight home was long, I had to dodge some rain showers, and had a headwind. The trip was most fruitful, and I am so glad I was able to make this investment in the ministries of our youth.

Acts 8
Saul persecutes the church, Philip preaches in Samaria and then leads the Ethiopian eunuch to Christ and baptism. This is a great chapter with powerful ministries changing lives. Reading it this morning with the Orthodox monastery in view creates an interesting context. The monks see themselves as connected historically to the early church more directly than others. I must continually attend to the faith community called Wesley, and keep us connected to Christ, to the historical church, and to the context of this present age with its people, problems, and possibilities. Guide me today, holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment