Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 20, 2010

6-20-10 Sunday, 5:59 am Grayrock, cloudy, warm, humid.

I am looking forward to leading the faith community in worship this morning. Yesterday Audrey and I attended a wedding in Columbia at Missouri UMC. Marcus Herman was married to Rachel, and our David was a groomsman. It was a long day, and the investment of our travel and energy was fruitful. A bonus was the chance to catch up with several friends from SunRise UMC, the church in O'Fallon where Marcus' mother Tammy is a pastor, and where I was the founding pastor for 14 years.

As I prepare for the message today, I am pleased to have John Bickers share his story. In the Gym service I will also have the video played of Benjamin Ray telling his story. Yesterday I received an email response from Peter Jenkins, author of The Walk Across America, and several other books. He told me that he feels closer to God than ever, and that he believes this life is first of all a spiritual journey. I plan to use this in my application of the message of Jonah to today.

Jonah 2
Jonah prays from the belly of the great fish. “I cried to the Lord, …. And He heard my voice.” “As my life was ebbing away, I remembered the Lord; and my prayer came to you into your holy temple.” This chapter reminds me that God always hears the prayer of people who remember Him, and remember to call upon his name. Guide me Lord today as I teach your word, lead your people, and seek those who are just beginning to turn to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment