Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 12, 2010

6-12-10 Saturday, 8:05 am Grayrock, 75 degrees, high clouds, humid.

It was good to be back at the office yesterday, working as pastor of Wesley UMC. I developed my sermon outline, answered email, caught up with pastor Jerry, visited a motorcycle accident injury in the ICU, walked through a 50th anniversary rehearsal for today’s service, and in general nurtured along the work of Christ through the church. Today I have the 3:30 wedding renewal service, and a 6:30 session with a Sunday school class around the book The Shack. I will be preparing for both of these this morning. I am also looking forward to finalizing my sermon prep for the first part of “Running with Jonah”.

I Kgs 9:1 – 10:29
Solomon finishes the Temple and his own royal palace, twenty years under construction. He gives king Hiram 20 towns in Galilee, which Hiram deems worthless and calls the area Cabul (worthless). The queen of Sheba comes to visit Solomon, having heard about his wisdom. Solomon receives 25 tons of gold annually in taxes and revenues. He developed a fleet of trading ships. Once every three years the ships returned, loaded with gold, silver, ivory, apes, and peacocks. He bought chariots and horses at the going rate from Egypt and Cilicia.

This section of scripture reads like a corporate annual report. It is interesting to get a glimpse of the business dealings, wisdom, and wealth of king Solomon. My takeaway today is to be wise, careful, and prudent in the business and stewardship of “stuff” entrusted to me. I have just made a list of 12 such items I need to work on.

Psalm 130
“From the depths of despair, O Lord, I call for your help. Hear my cry, O Lord.” This could have been Jonah’s prayer. In fact, this could be Jonah’s Psalm. Verse 3 “Lord, if you kept a record of our sins, who, O Lord, could ever survive? But you offer forgiveness, that we might learn to forgive you.

Thank you Lord for your word today. Guide me as I serve you through the role of pastor in the 21st century, here in southwest Missouri. I desire to bring your presence, your power, your wisdom, your glory fully into the midst of this current generation. I am yours, most Holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment