Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 16, 2010

6-16-10 Wednesday, 7:24 am Grayrock Deck, 68 degrees, cloudy.

I have been watering my garden with the hose which is draining the wading pool. There is not much water pressure, but enough to patiently hydrate the tomatoes and the blackberries. I mowed the lawn last night, and pulled “devil’s grass” from the berm, remembering with each weed to diligently remove the beginnings of any sin in my life. I seek to live a fruitful life of radical hospitality, passionate worship, intentional faith development, risk-taking mission and service and extravagant generosity. Watering and weeding my soul are part of this process.

I Kings 15:25-17:24
This is the record of several kings of Israel alongside of the 30+ reign of King Asa in Judah. When possible, a long tenure in leadership provides a context for growth and development of the organization, be it a country or a church, or an academic institution.

These kings of Israel (the northern tribes) repeatedly follow in the sinful ways of Jeroboam, beginning with his son Nadab, and continuing through Baasha, Elah, Zimri (only a 7-day reign before assassination), Tibni, Omri and then his son Ahab. Ahab married Jezebel, and the next chapters will describe that period.

Chapter 17 introduces Elijah from Tishbe in Gilead whom God called and equipped to be a prophet. Following God’s direction, he prophesied a draught, and then was personally provided for by ravens at the brook Kerith, and then by the widow of Zarephath. He raised her son from the dead through prayers to God.

My take away today from the above reading is that God is sovereign, allowing people to rule and reign, and always aware of the condition of their hearts, whether yielded to Him or led away to false gods, or wrapped up in self-centeredness. This is true today as local and national events unfold, and leaders rise and fall in the midst of conflicts and opportunities. Guide me Lord that my leadership might be centered in you, my life yielded to you, and my heart hidden in your heart so that I can radiate your light and love during this brief life on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment