Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 30, 2010

6-30-10 Wednesday, 7:57 am Summer in the Ozarks.

Tuesday was a full day of pastoral leadership. From the staff prayer time, followed by initial planning for the children’s Christmas program, I travelled by motorcycle to Camp Galilee and had lunch with our junior and senior high campers under the leadership of Julie MacLachlan. On the way home I stopped by the Nathan Boone home near Ash Grove where one of our members is the director. Last night I had a great conversation with one of our members about his baptism.

Today I will finish up tasks and projects that will allow me to be on vacation for a while. Summer vacation for us is a time to recharge and refocus.

II Kings 17- 18:12
This section records the defeat of Israel by the Assyrians, and their captivity. 17:15 is descriptive of the cause: “They rejected his decrees and the covenant he had made with their ancestors, and they despised all his warnings. They worshiped worthless idols, so they became worthless themselves. They followed the example of the nations around them, disobeying the Lord’s command not to imitate them.” And so, God allowed the Assryians to haul them off to captivity, and then the 10 Northern Tribes essentially disappeared. Judah would be taken captive a few years later, but would emerge from captivity and return to the promised land.

Gleanings from this scripture: 1. Accept God’s decrees. 2. Embrace His covenant. 3. Heed His warnings. 4. Don’t worship idols. 5. Do not follow the example of godless people.

These five gleanings are foundational to a life of faith and could be developed and fleshed out into great practices for all followers of Christ. For me, today, I believe I am aligned with these five. Reading the scripture daily is a crucial part of staying tuned in and tuned up to following God. Carefully applying what I read to my life, here and now is a must for moving forward. Guide me today, Holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment