Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21, 2010

6-21-10 Monday, 6:38 am Grayrock, clear and warm.

Ahhh, Monday Monday (the song) is going through my mind as I look forward to this day. Last Monday we drove back and forth to O’Fallon, two weeks ago I had the closing session of annual conference and then the afternoon at the office, three Mondays ago was memorial day weekend, and we drove up and back to St. Louis with Bethany. So, this is my first “regular” Monday in a month. After devotions I will go for a ride on the KLR for a couple of hours. I will take care of some family business, read, and exercise today.

Psalm 139
“O Lord you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I am far away.
…13 you knit me together in my mother’s womb. … 14 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion.
… 17 How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered. … 18b When I wake up, you are still with me!

I am reading this Psalm with Jonah in mind. This Psalm reminds me of God’s personal knowledge and care for me, Bruce Baxter. I have read it many times, and this morning I am again reminded that God pays intimate attention to His children. This is incomprehensible, but as technology swiftly increases I can begin to imagine the capacity of God to know everything about me. I take comfort in this, as I seek with a pure heart to love and to serve God in every way.

For Jonah, who was running from God to a far land, who was swallowed up by God in the fish, who was used by God for the conversion of Nineveh, and who got mad at God for his loving kindness, this Psalm speaks to each phase of his life, and every phase of the human condition. Guide me Lord as pastor and spiritual leader in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment