Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18, 2010

6-18-10 Friday, 6:38 am Grayrock, 74 degrees, clear.

I went outside at 3:30 this morning to view the comet reported in the news last night. Barefoot and in my pajamas I walked up and down my sidewalk, peering into the northeastern sky. I saw no comet, but it was interesting to be outside at that very quiet hour. Haley’s comet is the most famous. This is a recently discovered one called Comet McNaught, officially catalogued as C/2009 R1. It was discovered by Australian astronomer Robert McNaught last September. Our creation is so vast that with all our modern technology, we are still discovering new objects. I look forward this morning to discovering something new in God’s word.

I Kings 19
Elijah, following his victory on Mt. Carmel and his slaughter of the prophets of Baal, runs scared from Jezebel who vows to kill him. God feeds Elijah, and leads him to Mt. Sinai, and to a cave. God is not in the wind, the earthquake, nor the fire, but in the still, small voice. He tells Elijah whom to anoint as king of Israel, Judah, and as his successor. Elijah begins by finding Elisha and throws his mantle over his shoulders. This must certainly have been a surprise, something new for this farmer. Elisha responds by slaughtering the oxen he is using, and offering them over a fire kindled by their wooden yokes. He gives their meat to the townspeople, and follows Elijah as his assistant.

Does God still lead so dramatically and directly? I believe He does. Is Elijah “running with God”? Absolutely! Even as he doubts, struggles with fear and despondency, God provides, leads, and directs Elijah. Today as I work on my message for Sunday “Running to God”, Part II of my Jonah series, I will be looking for ways that God is leading and directing me, and through me speaking to people as he directs our steps in this present age. Keep me fresh and current in my walk with you Lord, guard me from despondency, and keep me from being a timid soul who knows neither victory nor defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment