Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11, 2011

There is a season of prayer unfolding within the Wesley faith community. On Sunday, Jan 2 Pastor Mi Hyeon concluded her sermon with the congregation using the Wesleyan Covenant Prayer. This past Sunday I developed my own version of this prayer, and on this coming Sunday, Jan 16 the Sunday morning service will be themed around prayer, with an extended opportunity for prayer and being anointed with oil in each worship service. God is at work among us, leading us deeper into the heart of spiritual living.

On Sunday, as I preached on the words of Jesus from Matthew 16: 24-26, I encountered the translation by Eugene Peterson which expressed verse 24 in a unique way: “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am.” I began to reflect upon how hard it is for me to be a passenger in a car, and not the driver. I remembered the response by mature Christian leaders to the bumper sticker that used to say “God is my copilot” who observed –“then you are in the wrong seat!” I have developed my version of Wesley’s covenant prayer:

I am no longer the driver, you are.
Put me in the passenger seat, or the back seat.
Put the car in drive, reverse, or let us sit idling away.
Let the gas tank be full, half full or on empty.
Let me ride in a hot, fancy car or a clunker.
I freely and heartily yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment