Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 22, 2011

1-22-11 Saturday, 4:39 am Springfield, 23 degrees, clear, bright ¾ moon.

I have awakened early this morning, and am happy to be up and at 'um. I am making chicken stock from a left over whole baked chicken, and will make black bean soup today from a packet (women’s bean project) purchased last summer at a fair trade store. The team in Honduras led by Audrey seems to be on target as reported in her second email sent last night. I continue to pray for each one and the experience they are having. In their honor I am drinking strong (extra fuerte) Honduran coffee, purchased on a previous trip.

Isaiah 9

The people who walk in darkness will see a great light; those who live in a dark land, the light will shine on them. (verse 2) This familiar verse, common to the Advent theme, applies directly to my two-part message entitled “Overcoming This Darkness”. The key to overcoming the darkness for these people is found in verse 6: “For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Might God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.”

Christ is the answer and the remedy for this present darkness. In my life Christ has been the source of light since I was 18. Last night I read a brief bio and description of Thomas Kelly and his Testament of Devotion (1941). In it he writes about the inner light and describes the process of seeking God, from the Quaker tradition. Earlier in the evening I attended a musical at Kickapoo HS featuring Aladdin and his lamp. This story from the Arabian Nights resonates with us as we all wish we could find a magic lamp from which a genie would emerge to grant our wishes.

The reality is that Christ is the light, and meets our needs by breaking the yoke of burdens and the rod of oppressors. The result is increase in gladness, glad in the presence of God. (verses 3,4) As I deliver this message on darkness, I must focus on the light and the gladness that comes with the presence of Christ.

Guide me Holy Lord today, as I fellowship with the United Methodist Men, meet with the family about their baptism, talk with a young adult just released from drug rehab, visit with our staff parish chair about upcoming opportunities, and continue preparing for the message tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment