Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011

1-25-11 Tuesday, 7:04 am Springfield, 23 degrees, cloudy. (My mother would have been 85, having been born on this day in 1926.)

This is a busy week. Yesterday I chose to work during a significant portion of my day off in light of necessary events transpiring. Audrey and I mark our 28th anniversary this Saturday, and I have been keeping late Friday and Saturday clear so that we can celebrate. The weather will be warming up this week with no predicted precipitation, making commuting on the motorcycle possible! Tonight I give a talk at Thy Biggest Loser about my personal exercise approach. I will build upon some of my previous work on running and the Bible, and quote John Wesley, who was very fit.

Isaiah 11

What a pleasant on joy-filled surprise to begin reading this chapter! “Then a shoot will spring from the stem of Jesse, and a branch from his roots will bear fruit. And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him….with righteousness He will judge the poor, and decide with fairness for the afflicted of the earth; and He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips He will slay the wicked.” (verses 1-4)

I started reading this chapter dutifully, following my chapter a day from Isaiah routine. I was not aware that this prophecy about Jesus would be front and center. It struck me as a breath of fresh air, an announcement of good news, refreshing my soul. The Word of God is such a blessing and a source of light and hope. It is very good for me to be surprised by this chapter, and to remember the goodness of the news that Jesus is the righteous judge.

In verse 5 it states that “righteousness will be the belt about his loins, and faithfulness the belt about his waist.” In my message from Eph 6 I mentioned the belt of truth that is one of the 6 items of spiritual warfare with which to confront evil. Given how common it is to wear a belt, it makes a very useful metaphor. I wonder if it was common in Isaiah’s day to wear two belts, one about the loins, one about the wait?

Guide me today Lord as I prepare for all that you will bring my way. I desire to serve with your Spirit resting upon me, “the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and strength, the spirit of knowledge” as I walk in “the fear of the Lord.” Today is a day of real opportunity in building your kingdom, and a day to stand strong against evil. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment