Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8, 2011

1-8-11 Saturday, 6:24 am clear and cold, 22 degrees.

The Upward season began last night with 4 teams of 5th and 6th grade boys playing full court in the gym. Audrey and I went out to an early dinner at a Mexican restaurant and then stopped by the church. I led the two half-time devotions, and will do so again this morning. Today there will be 16 games involving 32 teams. I also have a wedding at Wesley this afternoon. Tomorrow will be a glorious Lord’s day involving worship, leadership, visioning, and a meet-the-pastors coffee.

Psalm 8

O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth, Who have displayed your splendor above the heavens!” (verse 1) This psalm begins with a focus upon God in his majesty, splendor and excellency. George Wood writing in his wonderful A Psalm in Your Heart divides this psalm into three parts - God’s place, our place, and the vision (of God) that compels us.

In verse 3 the writer, David, contemplates the heavens, the work of God’s fingers, including the moon and the stars. I have a great “app” for my Droid called Google Sky Map which identifies all the heavenly bodies visible to the naked eye. By holding it up to a bright heavenly object, it labels it as Jupiter or Mars, or names the star and constellation. As much as I am amazed by this technology, I am much more amazed at the creation of God, its majesty, vastness, orderliness, mystery and infinitude.

Verse 4 asks the question “what are mere mortals that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?” Given the majesty of God, and the enormity of creation, humans seem inconsequential. However, verses 5-8 describe the incredible role that God has given humans, above all creation, and just lower than God.
Verse 9 restates verse 1, and frames the whole psalm with the statement “Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!”

O Lord, my Lord, as I recognize the excellence of your name, character, person and being, I am humbled by your involvement in my life, knowing the number of hairs on my head. I will focus on your majesty today, mindful of the role you have given me within your creation and within the body of those who worship and serve you alone, in the most precious name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment