Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2010

1-3-11 Monday, 7:55 am, raining, 46 degrees.

We had a great Sunday as we attended Bethany’s church and then out to lunch with her friend Natalie. Watching the Rams lose last night was not pretty, but it was good entertainment. Twenty-six years ago on this day God blessed us with our first child, and we rejoice to celebrate David’s birthday, albeit from afar. Today is our last day here in southern California, and we will fly home early tomorrow morning.

Colossians 4

Paul is writing from prison, and encouraging the church. He mentions several people by name, and hopes they will pray for him. In verse 17 he writes: “… tell Archippus, ‘do your best in the job you received from the Master. Do your very best.” I wonder what job this was, and what it would look like for him to do his best. Why did he need this encouragement? I could put myself in the place of Archippus, and apply this admonition to Bruce Baxter – “do your best in the job you received from the Master.” For me, this would involve pastoring at my very best. Having been away from Springfield and Wesley Church for a week now, I am in a good place to reflect upon what that will look like in 2011. Here are some thoughts:

• Creative, insightful, well-prepared sermons
• Intentional development of leaders
• Diligent application of the 5 prescriptions from HCI (Vision, staffing, worship, facilities, communication)
• Careful attention to the resources required for ministry
• Development of written material, for use in the church and beyond

As I plan for this new year of ministry, the above list is a great guide for my time and energy as the Master has appointed me to serve Wesley United Methodist Church in Springfield Missouri!

I am your servant, most Holy One. My days, nights, weekends, holidays are yours. Guide me as one who is totally surrendered to your will and purposes, equipped to do your work in this generation into which I have been born.

No comments:

Post a Comment