Sunday, January 2, 2011

January 2, 2011

1-2-11 Sunday, 7:02 am, 46 degrees, partly cloudy

Ahh, the first journal entry of this new year! Yesterday we arose at 5:15 and were in the car by 6:00, heading for the Rose Parade. It was excellent, meeting all of our high expectations. The arrangements Audrey had made for tickets, parking, directions, etc were all perfect. The weather was clear and cold, but very comfortable. A street preacher addressed the grandstand before the parade, and another guy walked up and down with a sign that said “God Kills” on one side, and “9-11 was America’s punishment” on the other. The crowd booed and heckled both. I felt like I was in the middle of some pagan crowd and it was not clear how I might best respond. I did so by staying silent, and I did not feel that a different response was required, or would be helpful.

I still am considering what approach I will make for choosing scripture on a daily basis this year. This morning I will open up the file of “One a Day with Welsey” that I compiled in 2008 through May. I am considering polishing it, and publishing it in some form for 2012. In it I chose a chapter a day, roughly based on the season, and the corresponding commentary from Wesley’s notes on the Bible.


I Pet 2

“So clean house! Make a clean sweep of malice and pretense, envy and hurtful talk. You’ve had a taste of God.” This is a great scripture for the first of the year. Peter goes on to describe Christ as the rock, the cornerstone for our lives. In verse 11 he reminds us that “this world is not your home, so don’t make yourself cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.”


Guide me today, and this year, most holy Lord, as I live with You, Christ as the cornerstone of my life, making a clean sweep every day, tasting You, living in the light of eternity and guarding against indulging my ego at the expense of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment