Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 15, 2011

1-15-11 Saturday, 7:07 am Springfield, 31 degrees, clear.

Yesterday we celebrated Audrey’s birthday. From breakfast at one of her favorite restaurants, to a mid-day funeral at Wesley, and then a movie, dinner, and shopping for the Honduras trip, (which she leads this Wednesday)we had a full day. I remember fondly her 25th birthday and the card I made which said “25 is O.K.”

Today I have the morning flexible, to work around the house, write, and exercise. In the afternoon and early evening I will present the Upward halftime devotion to the 4 games that I did not do last Saturday. During the time I have between halftime devotions I will make telephone calls, work on HCI prescriptions and visit with people who are in the building for Upward.

Isaiah 3 (I am reading through Isaiah one chapter at a time, and referring to the commentary by John Oswalt.)

In this chapter the prophet continues his lament about the downfall of Israel. Rather than capable leaders, boys will be in charge, and will be inept. Oswald connects this chapter with the previous one under the theme of how foolish it is to trust in human leaders. The natural tendency of humans is to place trust and confidence in someone or something. And when this is not placed in God, but in people or things, there is ultimately failure and disappointment. I certainly observe this in my generation – the tendency to place confidence, trust in people and technology, and then to be disappointed when either of these fail.

As a leader of the church, it is so important for me to trust God completely, to follow His lead carefully, and to have a proper view of my role as one of the undershepherds, serving Christ through His bride, the Church. Guide me today most holy Lord as I walk this earthly path and serve you with all my body, mind, soul and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment