Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29, 2011

1-29-11 Saturday, 7:07 am Springfield, 31 degrees, clear.

Twenty-eight years ago Jan 29 was on a Saturday, and Audrey and I were in Omaha, Nebraska to get married. The service was performed by the Revs Bruce Laverman and Russ Rickert. The years have gone by rapidly, and it also seems like we have been married for a long time. My memories of not being married are similar to the memories of my youth – glimpses of incidents and people. I am thankful to be married to Audrey and to share this life together. She returned with the team from Honduras yesterday, arriving at Wesley around 4:00 pm.

Isaiah 15 – An oracle against Moab, set probably in 715-711 BC

In this chapter (continued in the next) Isaiah describes great destruction in Moab and a scene of refugees fleeing south. Moab is the region east of the Dead Sea, roughly 30 miles long and 30 miles wide. It is where Naomi and her family fled for relief from the famine in Israel, as described in the book of Ruth. Isaiah seems sympathetic to the plight of Moab, and does not have the glee expressed at the downfall of Assyria, Babylon or the Philistines.

Verse 7 : “Therefore the abundance which they have acquired and stored up they carry off over the brook of Arabim.” In his commentary, John Owalt reminds the readers that the 20th century saw more displaced people, refugees, than all previous centuries. This verse also reminds us that the human tendency is to acquire and store up so that we will never have unmet needs. The reality is that only in God can we find security, and trust in anything else is misplaced.

Guide me Holy Lord as I live this day trusting in you alone. I thank you that in this season of life there is a certain abundance, with food, clothing, shelter, and transportation. My hope is not in my house, or cupboard, car or IRA, but in you and your glorious promises. Just as the bird that I now hear singing relies daily on your provision, my hope is in you, and today I look to you for my needs, most Holy One. Just as in faith I said “I do” at the altar in Omaha 28 years ago, today I say YES to follow You for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness or in health. I trust you in my marriage, in my parenting of adult children, in pastoring, and in reaching the unchurched for your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment