Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24, 2011

1-24-11 Monday, 7:10 am Springfield, 23 degrees, cloudy.

Yesterday was a good Sunday. The worship services went well, 2000 youth were in town for WOW, we had a good afternoon training session for Life Group leaders, and I was able to help a husband and wife who live on the edge of homelessness with some food and transportation. I enjoyed the Bears Packers playoff game, and have the Steelers Jets game recorded. I am avoiding the morning news so I can watch this AFC game today without knowing the outcome.

Isaiah 10

Assyria is being commissioned by God to punish unfaithful Israel. However, in this chapter it is foretold that Assyria and its leader(s) think too highly of themselves, as though through their own wisdom and strength they did this. Verse 15: “Is the axe to boast itself over the one who chops with it? Is the saw to exalt itself over the one who wields it?” The end result will be that after the Lord has completed His work on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem, He will “punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria and the pomp of his haughtiness” (verse 12).

Reading this chapter I am reminded that God is over all the nations. In my day this means the United States, Canada, Honduras, China, Russian, Mozambique, etc, etc. This is so easy to forget with the United Nations and strong governments in place. I take great comfort in knowing that God is in charge. He may punish certain nations, including the one in which I live for unrighteous behavior, and He remembers those who seek His face, no matter where they live.

Secondly, I am reminded that when a person is used by God it is so easy to slip into becoming deluded into thinking that success is all the result of brains, brawn, hard work and good luck. Leaders must always struggle with pride and haughtiness. This chapter is a great reminder to me to recognize that I am a servant of the most high God, currently pastoring a large church in Springfield, and empowered by His might, not my own. I desire to be an ever more fruitful disciple of Jesus Christ, who worships, cares and serves the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, wherever He calls and equips me to go.

Guide me today most Holy One as I serve you with joy on this day of sabbath rest and reflective recreation. Guide me as I prepare for the staff-parish meeting this evening and the stewardship of leadership of this congregation.

No comments:

Post a Comment