Friday, January 21, 2011

January 21, 2011

1-21-11 Friday, 8:12 am Springfield, 13 degrees, cloudy.

Yesterday was a delightfully snowy day. I read in the morning, shoveled the driveway, built a fire in the backyard, and went for a walk in the woods. I worked at the church office in the afternoon, and then met a young engaged couple for dinner. Today I will write my sermon and work on HCI prescriptions.

Isaiah 8

Upon first reading, this chapter seems complicated. Isaiah and his wife have a baby, and God tells him that before the child can say “my father” or “my mother” the wealth of Damascus and the spoil of Syria will be carried away by Assyria. The prophetic word also comes to the people of Israel who “have rejected the gently flowing waters of Shiloah”. “The Lord is about to bring on them the strong and abundant waters of the Euphrates, even the king of Assyria and all his glory.”

Verses 11, 17, and 18 are Isaiah’s personal walk with God, 1. Not walking in the same manner as the rebellious Israelites, and 2. Waiting for the Lord, who is hiding His face from the house of Jacob; “I will even look eagerly for Him. I can apply this to my life, paying careful attention not to simply take the same approach as the majority of people in my generation and culture, but instead to seek eagerly for the way of God. Last night over dinner Jon shared that Proverbs 8:17 really spoke to him – “I love those who love me, and those who diligently seek me will find me.” This was Isaiah’s approach, and this morning I place it front and center on my outlook for the day.

Thank you Lord for your servant Isaiah, and the witness of his life and prophetic ministry. May my life point others to you, and be completely focused on serving you and diligently seeking you.

No comments:

Post a Comment