Friday, January 28, 2011

January 28, 2011

1-28-11 Friday, 5:46 am Springfield, 31 degrees heading for a high of 58!

I had a good trip to Columbia yesterday, delivering a car to David, and meeting with a task force of the Annual Conference headed up by Karen Hayden to study the “culture of the call”. We discussed ways that we can develop in Missouri among United Methodists a seedbed of vocational calling to ministry. I am privileged to be the only gray haired person on this team, and my passion is to help raise the intentionality of how the church cultivates among its youth this call to pastoral ministry. In the evening we had the 9th session of our Wesley Pilot Leadership Experience, led by pastor Mi Hyeon.

Audrey and the team returning from Honduras got stuck in Houston last night. The customs process bogged down and they missed their flight to Kansas City. They will fly this morning, and arrive this afternoon at Wesley. I will write my sermon this morning, take some time off this evening and tomorrow.

Isaiah 14

This chapter looks to the day “when the Lord will have compassion on Jacob … and settle them in their own land.” Verses 4-21 are a taunt against the king of Babylon, and many scholars read verses 12-17 as referring to Satan and his rebellion, fall and punishment. This chapter provides hope for the people of God who are being punished by Assyria for their disregard of God, and with the promise that in the future God will restore. The concluding verse 32 states: “the Lord has founded Zion, and the afflicted of his people will seek refuge in it.”

The body of Jesus Christ, His church fills the role of the Old Testament Israel. “Upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hades shall not overpower it.” (Matthew 16:18) As I prepare for Sunday’s sermon, continuing the theme “Overcoming This Darkness” I will review the way the darkness settles in, and the equipment that God has provided His people, including the shield of faith, the sword of the Spirit (the Word of God) and the helmet of salvation.

As the dawn breaks through the darkness this morning, as the sun rises with the freshness and hope of a new day, as my seeds of herbs are sprouting in pots on top of the refrigerator, may my steps be ordered by you most Holy God, my preparation be inspired by your Spirit, my words be full of comfort and hope, and my decisions be for the building up of your body and the developing of your disciples as together we worship You, care for your sheep, and serve you in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment