Thursday, February 10, 2011

February 10, 2011

2-10-11 Thursday, 6:38 am Springfield, -9 degrees, wind-chill -23 Wow!

Isaiah 24

Verse 1 “Behold, the Lord lays the earth waste, devastates it, distorts its surface, and scatters its inhabitants.” According to Oswalt, chapters 24-27 of Isaiah have been called the Apocalypse of Isaiah, but he thinks it more accurate to consider this material eschatological. It certainly reminds me of the type of writing found in the book of Revelation. These three chapters lack specific references to historical events that could date the predicted destruction.

Reading this chapter alerts me to the power of God and His word. It leads me to worship the One who has the power, authority, capacity, and timing to destroy or raise up the entire world or the smallest sparrow. As scientists and politicians debate global climate change and its causes, the role of God is not in the news. Believing that God can do anything, at any time reminds me of the order of creation, and that as a human I am created in his image, a little lower than the angels, and I yield my life to His will and purposes.

Thank you Lord for your word to Isaiah about devastation. Guard me from ever seeing this world as permanent or my role as other than serving You. On this extremely cold day in Springfield, guide me as I pray, serve, lead, plan, prepare, and recreate. I see your hand in the extremes of creation, and in your tender love to your creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment