Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February 23, 2011

2-23-11 Wednesday, 6:47 am Springfield, 33 degrees, cloudy.

My days are beginning to run together. The meetings and the work with HCI coach Doug Anderson have been very fruitful, and required much exertion. I arose thinking I had a 7:30 breakfast meeting, only to review my schedule and discover it is for tomorrow. I will instead head to the office and prepare for today’s worship planning meeting. Tonight our new member class will have its final session. Yesterday I had a delightful email from my friend Greg, who was best man at our wedding, stating that he and his wife and daughter will be in Springfield, checking out a college. We will get to spend time with them Friday night.

Isaiah 34

The 17 verses of this chapter are a poem, describing the destruction that awaits for Edom in particular, and in general for all who trust in themselves and not God. It paints the picture of a fertile land turned desolate, possessed by pelican and hedgehog. This chapter reminds the reader that even the most abundant setting is not permanent, and God will judge those who ignore Him and try to save themselves. The next chapter will describe the reverse – a desert that springs to life, representing the effects of turning to God, even when it seems there is no hope.

What was true in Isaiah’s day, is true today. Especially in the prosperous nation of the United States of America it is easy to lose sight of God, and believe the lie that we are a “self-made people”. When any people forget God and try to make it on their own, destruction is around the corner. The application of this is lived out in daily decisions and activities. How does one trust God? What is the relationship of this trust and pursuing education? How does one orient toward career goals and choose wisely each step, and the pathway when more than one exists? These are the questions of discipleship and spiritual discernment. My working theory is that for the person whose life is committed to following God, and whose heart is tuned to His will, God will guide the steps and the choices, and even redeem the mistakes. We are not alone, and the body of Christ is His Bride, being prepared for the end of time.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I live and breathe in this wonderful world, this abundant nation in which you have blessed me to be born and to love. Guard me from the temptation that I can make it on my own. Use me to lead the church to greater fruitfulness in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment