Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February 15, 2011

2-15-11 Tuesday, 5:38 am Springfield, 42 degrees, breezy from the south.

Last night Audrey and I enjoyed the Valentine’s party of the choir. She was elected queen of the choir for the next year, with Dan Menzie being elected king. We started the day yesterday with breakfast at our favorite waffle house, then shopping at Sam’s and a visit to the library. Through the afternoon I went to look at a motorcycle which doesn’t run and is somewhat disassembled, but which I think I will buy today because I am confident in its history, and it is the same make, model, and color that I was willing to drive to Memphis to look at. (It is almost as if God has said, “okay, if this is the type that would work best for you, I will point you to one within walking distance of your house, at a price below what you could imagine”.) I also went to the airport and made 4 great take-offs and landings in the Cherokee.

Today we will pray together as a staff, plan worship, prepare for next week’s HCI, etc. I feel rested and ready for a busy and strenuous week after a sabbath. As I retired last night I read about Henri Nouwen, with an excerpt from his book The Return of the Prodigal. Nouwen’s most famous book is probably The Wounded Healer, and the tensions he lived through and wrote about have been helpful to many people.

Isaiah 28

What a powerful chapter! It begins with “Woe to the proud crown of the drunkards of Ephraim”, contrasting it with “the Lord of hosts will become a beautiful crown and a glorious diadem to the remnant of His people”. The theme of this chapter, and this section (chapters 28-33) is the foolishness of trusting in the nations rather than God. Verses 15-16 paint a vivid picture of this contrast: “Because you have said, ‘we have made a covenant with death…we have made falsehood our refuge and we have concealed ourselves with deception. Therefore thus says the Lord God, Behold I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone, a costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed. He who believes in it will not be disturbed.”

As I set out to read chapter 28 I did not know what content I would encounter. In the New Testament, and other parts of the Old Testament I often have a good idea of the general material. Feeling led by the Holy Spirit to embark on this daily chapter study of Isaiah I am regularly surprised and very blessed by the substance of this prophet, which is oft quoted elsewhere. Referring to the commentary by Oswalt is a great help for context and explanation of the historical setting, and the history of interpretation for various sections.

Application for me today: do not trust in anything or anyone other than God alone. Bruce, place your hope in the costly Cornerstone of Zion, Jesus Christ, firmly placed. Believe in Him, you will not be disturbed. Though drunken revelers ignore God, their span is short, God’s judgement is sure. Take the “long view of this short life” and trust in God, do not be afraid. (Drunken revelers gathered for the Grammy music awards this week, highlighting again our culture’s fascination with celebrity, transferring the desire to be known onto those with dubious character, and often ignoring God in whom every desire can be met.)

Yes Lord, in You I trust for every aspect of my life and leadership in the church. Guard me from any revelry or the proud crowns of the drunkards of Ephraim. I will be numbered with those who are poor in spirit and who mourn. Lead me in your righteousness and your divine judgements.

No comments:

Post a Comment