Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February 8, 2011

2-8-11 Tuesday, 7:14 am Springfield, 13 degrees, rosey glow in the clouds on the horizon as the sun would be appearing.

Yesterday I worked at the office and people were surprised to see me on my “day off”. It was good to get much done and to make progress for the week, anticipating a snow day tomorrow, and some time off at the end of the week. Working yesterday reminded me of the feeling I had as a CPA when on occasion I would go in to work on a Saturday – it felt odd and good and unusual. I suppose this means I have successfully oriented my inner clock to experiencing “sabbath” regularly on Mondays.

Isaiah 22

This chapter contains an oracle against Jerusalem and its leaders. They are celebrating and building their burial places while destruction is just around the corner. Their immediate future seems to be a relief from attack, but as they neglect to trust in God, His Word and purposes, they will be surprised by the swiftness of their calamity.

While the commentators struggle to define exactly what historical events to which this chapter refers, this morning my takeaway is that at any point in history there is a temptation for God’s people to lose sight of His power, might and purposes, and to engage in short-term revelry and self-absorption. I must diligently consider my own heart and mind and calibrate my orientation to God’s purposes, attending to the stewardship to which He has entrusted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment