Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 24, 2011

2-24-11 Thursday, 4:54 am Springfield, 48 degrees, cloudy

I have awakened early, and am adequately rested for the day. I exercised yesterday, for the first time in about 7 days, running 3 miles from the Chesterfield center, and then a round of upper body strengthening. My schedule was simply packed and did not allow for the window needed for fitness. I hope to exercise regularly for the next several days. This morning, following scripture and prayer, I will work on preparing for the board of ordained ministry interviews for next week. I have several dvds to watch of candidate’s worship and preaching, and several essays to read. Yesterday I spoke to Jim Blue about my upcoming preaching at SunRise, and how that ministry is going during this 20th anniversary year.

Isaiah 35

This poem describes the abundance of the desert blooming, and the wilderness rejoicing, all at the pleasure of God who redeems. Verses 3-4 “Encourage the exhausted, and strengthen the feeble. Say to those with anxious heart, ‘Take courage, fear not. Behold your God will come with vengeance; The recompense of God will come, but He will save you.’” It is a joy as a pastor to speak words of encouragement, and to comfort those with anxious heart, reminding of the promises and power of God.

In the 1970’s I sang a scripture chorus from verse 10. This verse is a beautiful picture of God’s people returning with joyful shouting to Zion: “And the redeemed of the Lord shall return, and come with singing unto Zion, and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads. They will find gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.” This is a wonderful promise, especially to a people (the Israelites) who were about to experience huge disappointment and punishment for their rebellion and lack of trust in God.

On the currency of the United States of America is the phrase “In God We Trust”. I need to continue to think and write about the implications of this nation and its stated, implied, and actual trust in God. Yesterday I had lunch with John M. who is on the national steering committee for Cry Out America, an ecumenical effort to organize prayer for our country, especially in light of 9-11. “If my people, who are called by my Name will humble themselves and pray, and turn from their wicked ways … I will heal their land (II Chronicles 7:14).

Today Lord I call out to you from this comfortable family room as I read your Word and contemplate the current situation in my country and in this world. Guide me as I serve you through the pastoral office at Wesley UMC. Bless Frank McCoy and Danny Summers and their families today.

No comments:

Post a Comment