Thursday, February 3, 2011

February 3, 2011

2-3-11 Thursday, 5:55 am Clear and cold -5 degrees.

Audrey and I are up watching the news and sipping coffee. I have a breakfast meeting, a day at the office, and then an evening meeting of our pilot leadership experience. Even though schools are closed for a third day, we will open the church office as staff makes their way there.

Isaiah 19

“So I will incite Egyptian against Egyptian; and they will each fight against his brother, and each against his neighbor” (Verse 2). This could describe last night’s evening news. The entire NBC evening news team, led by Brian Williams is in Egypt covering the massive demonstrations. Yesterday it turned ugly, with violent supporters of the president, referred to as goons, who attacked the peaceful crowds that have been gathering for days. What will be Egypt’s future? Verse 4 says “Moreover, I will deliver the Egyptians into the hand of a cruel master, and a might king will rule over them, says the Lord God of hosts.”

This prophecy was written 2700 years ago, and continues to have a freshness. How does the current circumstances in Egypt relate to this prophecy? Only time will tell. I never want to be too quick to apply Biblical prophecy to current events, but always to keep in mind the presence and power of God in history and in the daily life of people and nations. The words of Jesus that I am digesting for this upcoming sermon series come from the beginning of his sermon on the mount, and I love the first one “blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Guide me holy Lord as I recognize the poverty of my spirit, and seek you every moment of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment