Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11, 2011

2-11-11 Friday, 5:29 am Springfield, 6 degrees.

I prayed with two pastors yesterday here in Springfield with whom I have a regular prayer commitment. One is burdened down with an unusual amount of grief and hardship, and is bearing up remarkably well during this unusual season in his life, and the other has weathered much conflict in his church, with things going quite well now. I brought before them a side issue I am dealing with, which is very much a spiritual issue for me, the possibility of replacing my current motorcycle with one designed for touring. I explained that this summer my brother-in-law and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone with a couple of other guys, and Audrey is open to this idea. These two pastors encouraged me not to have false guilt or set artificial limits on what might be a great measure of freedom. I related how for all of my adult life the possibility of owning a motorcycle has been a spiritual issue, from late teenage years when it was strictly prohibited by my parents, to the first motorcycle I purchased during our first year of marriage. My desire is to please God and not allow a “thing” to interfere in any way, or in any relationship.

Isaiah 25

What a beautiful chapter! It is my heart and prayer, beginning with “Lord, Thou art my God; I will exalt Thee, I will give thanks to Thy name… (NASB). As I stated yesterday, chapters 24-27 are eschatological. Reading this chapter this morning has blessed my soul. The feast described in verse 6 is similar to the banquet at the end of time described in Revelation. Last night Audrey and I enjoyed a delightful meal with the gift card given to us by the church for pastor’s appreciation month. It was such a treat. Verse 6 says “and the Lord of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain; a banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow, and refined, aged wine.” I am picturing in particular the poor of the world, struggling to survive on rice, or beans, or fish being especially blessed by this meal.

Yesterday I visited Isabelle’s House with our missions team, and observed the beautiful way this ministry blesses the poor by caring for their children on a crisis basis, and sends them home with basic necessities. Yesterday I also spoke with my friend who was homeless when he called me 2 years ago, and who now is married and barely eking out a life with his wife. He trusts God completely, and this “lavish banquet” at the end of time will bless his socks off! Jesus was often among the poor, and I strive to also be with the poor, as there is so much to learn from them. My friend on the phone yesterday was describing how he has experienced God’s grace and forgiveness for the rotten things he did as a young man. His son is incarcerated now for breaking into churches, and he would like for me to go visit his son.

Guide me Lord as I follow you, tend your sheep, and share your love in this journey toward the lavish banquet you are preparing for all people on Your mountain. This life is so brief, you have blessed me with such richness of relationships, ample resources for daily life, and the hope of eternity in your presence. You are my God, I will exalt you, I will give thanks to your Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment