Friday, February 25, 2011

February 25, 2011

2-25-11 Friday, 7:47 am Springfield, 31 degrees, cloudy.

Yesterday I had several delightful conversations. Arriving in Springfield on a college visit with his daughter and wife, I spoke with my friend from high school who was essential in my spiritual growth during my first 5 years of walking with Christ. I also had a telephone conversation with a friend from seminary whose parents live here in Springfield, and whose church is experiencing leadership challenges. We had a great staff birthday lunch during the noon hour at Wesley.

Isaiah 36

Sennacherib, king of Assyria sends a general to Jerusalem with a message. He stands by the conduit of the upper pool on the highway of the fuller’s field (the exact spot Isaiah stood in chapter 7, verse 3 to deliver a message to Ahaz (king Hezekiah’s father). This loudly proclaimed message, heard by a delegation of three from king Hezekiah, and all who were lining the Jerusalem wall, included a reminder of the great power of the Assyrian army, and the inability of the armies or the gods of the neighboring people to resist it. Verse 20 is a key verse: “who among all the gods of these lands have delivered their land from my hand, that the Lord should deliver Jerusalem from my hand?” The delegation returns to King Hezekiah with their clothes torn (symbolizing their anguish) and tells him of the message they have received.

This is a crucial event for the small nation of Judah, faced with a powerful invading army. Hezekiah’s father, Ahab, when threatened by invasion from Damasacus (Syria) had turned to his enemy Assyria for help, instead of God. In this event, it is Assyria who is threatening Judah, and Hezekiah has a dilemma. Who will deliver Judah from this world power which is attacking them? (Chapter 37 will be exciting to read tomorrow!)

As I read this account this morning, my nation is currently the strongest in the world, and not threatened. The temptation is to trust in one’s own strength and power. I must daily renew my trust in God, even during these peaceful, bountiful days of late middle age. Guide me today Lord as I trust completely in you, my rock and my redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment