Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February 2, 2011

2-2-11 Wednesday, 8:05 am Springfield, 6 degrees, 9 inches of snow on the ground, winds 16 mph out of the northwest, and the sun beginning to peek through the clouds.

Having spoken with several staff, and decided that the church office would be officially closed again today, I settle into this time of scripture, prayer, and writing. I will head to church late morning, and spend much of this day in sermon series preparation and planning. I also will make several phone calls today (expecting to find many people at home!) concerning the HCI tasks forces that are necessary.

Isaiah 18

It is interesting to read this chapter in light of the huge demonstrations going on in Egypt, with the call for its president (Hosny Mubarak) of 30 years to resign. Isaiah 19-20 is clearly an oracle addressed to Egypt. John Oswalt provides light on this somewhat mysterious chapter. Basically the chapter contains a message to all the world that God is Lord of all, and that people tall and smooth, even people feared far and wide will bring homage to the Lord of Hosts, even to mount Zion.

The news coverage of these mass demonstrations has not asked the question “where is God in all of this?” There are religious references, to the possibility of a radical Muslim regime, to a war between Israel and Egypt. But the sovereignty of God, His will and purpose for these times has not been covered. And though this is beyond the typical scope of the press, it is a clear question for followers of Christ to ask. The scripture is clear in pointing out that humans have a tendency to trust international alliances more than God. I must daily seek the face of God and His direction for my steps as I serve Him alone, and lead the church in developing disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, care and serve.

Guide me on this snow-covered arctic day as I follow You and trust You for my life. May my words and actions resemble Isaiah’s as he pointed his people to trust You and to be aware of the destruction of the nations who rise up against You. Give me wisdom as this relates to Springfield Missouri in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment