Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16, 2011

2-16-11 Wednesday, 5:57 am Springfield, 50 degrees, clear.

I stepped outside to get the paper, and the ground appears to be sweating after this “warm” night. There is a heavy dew, and the temperature feels very moderate. We understand a lot about weather, and there is still so much mystery. Today I have meetings at Wesley with several staff, lunch at Ridgecrest Baptist for a book study on The Minister as Shepherd led by John Marshall and Hosea Bilyeu. Tonight I have two meetings which involve discipleship and one marriage planning session. I will also be planning for this week’s sermon, and preparing some teaching material for pastors and other leaders. Last night we had our second life group, adding four additional people as we considered the nature of God and the benefit of trusting Him in all our pain.

Isaiah 29

This is the third part of the denunciation of Jerusalem – “woe, O Ariel, Ariel the city where David once camped!” Ariel clearly refers to Jerusalem, and linguistically scholars have three theories on the meaning of this word. This chapter conveys the basic message that even as the regular festivals are celebrated in Jerusalem with the remembrance of what God has done in the past, the people are failing to trust God in the present and to obey Him from the heart.

Verses 13-14 speak to the people of Jerusalem around 705 BC, and have a message to every religious person and institution throughout time: “Because this people draw near with their words and honor Me with their lip service, but they remove their hearts far from Me, and their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote, Therefore behold, I will once again deal marvelously with this people…”
As a leader of a faith community, planning weekly worship and regular religious celebrations, I must pay special attention to the warning of this chapter. It is much easier to simply keep alive traditions, even after they become empty, than it is to keep one’s walk with God fresh, personal, and engaged.

Lord, I trust you for today. Speak to me once again your message of hope, forgiveness, and comfort. Give me the courage of Joshua and David to move forward into areas of your promise, even among your enemies. Guard me from just going through the motions, or saying the right words. I trust You today to lead my steps, guide my thoughts, guard my heart and use my hands and feet for your glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment