Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 16, 2011

7-16-11 Saturday, 7:23 am Springfield, 75 degrees, humid, heading into a week of excessive heat and humidity.

The pastor’s golf outing yesterday was great. I played with Dennis and Doug, two SBC pastors and Tyler, youth pastor at Oak Grove AG church. I enjoyed the challenges and opportunities to swing and putt and talk and enjoy nature. For me, golf is an opportunity to recreate and interact. Now I am ready for a day of pastoral work and preparation for tomorrow. Today I will meet with a couple in preparation for their wedding, I will make several phone calls, develop my sermon manuscript, exercise, pray with the departing Honduras team at 7:30 pm, and perhaps stop by a Sunday School class party around 8.

Romans 4 (I am reading a chapter of Romans a day, and am a little ahead of the One Year Bible schedule.)

In this chapter Paul recounts the faith of Abraham and David. He logically develops the timeline that Abraham believed God before he was circumcised, and thus faith not obedience to the law is the key element. He quotes David’s writing from Psalm 32:1-2 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven, and whose sins have been covered.” Paul draws on the “tradition” and the teachings that have been passed down. This is my sermon theme tomorrow, and I could well use this chapter of Romans as an example of how Paul used tradition.

It is so tempting to minimize those who have come before us, as less educated, less sophisticated, less aware of things we take for granted. The problem of discounting the work of our predecessors is the resulting haughtiness, and the danger of veering off the way by ignoring warning signs posted by fellow travelers. Guide me today and tomorrow Lord as I point hearers to the healthy use of tradition and heritage. May my thinking and living reflect a healthy balance of looking back, looking around, and looking forward as your servant during this present age.

No comments:

Post a Comment