Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21, 2011

7-21-11 Thursday, 6:41 am Springfield, 75 degrees, clear, heading for high of 100 today.

This hot weather is covered on the local and national news, with the warnings covering 35 states. It does not seem unusual to me that it is hot in July. I am very thankful for the modern convenience of air conditioning – at home, in our cars and at work. Without air conditioning, this heat would be oppressive.

Yesterday it was hard to say good bye to Audrey for eight days. She is currently on an airplane in St. Louis, headed for Baltimore. I have designed a schedule for these days that will focus on sermon preparation and planning. Last night I worked on my sermon for this Sunday as I researched Luther, and also signed a large stack of letters. Tonight I have a meeting with the Mission Audit team.

Romans 8 (NLT)

“And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.” (verse 2) I read this verse in the context of having read chapter 7 yesterday, and researching Martin Luther’s struggle with the oppression of the church after he experienced the power of the life-giving Spirit. I have been blessed with belonging to Christ, and experiencing this life-giving power and also the freedom from the power of sin. I cannot explain it, but I have clearly experienced it, beginning in August of 1974, and right up to this present moment.

Lord, today I walk in the power of your life-giving Spirit in Springfield, Missouri. Guide my steps, use me as your servant in building your kingdom and increasing the fruit of righteousness in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment